[Pre-opening] "From art to manner" Three round tables dedicated to Dakar creation and craft skills
The event is over
- Le 15 May 2023
- All public
The event is over
After two days of discussion organised in Dakar, Senegal, in early 2023—"De l’art à la manière” in January and “Modes africaines” in March— la Galerie du 19M is once again joining forces with the editorial team of Le Monde and its “Le Monde Afrique” section to organise three roundtables on Monday 15 May, from 2 p.m. to 5.15 p.m., to open the exhibition Sur le fil : de Dakar à Paris.
la Galerie du 19M : Exhibition space
For more details, refer to the practical information.
This exhibition, which was presented between January and March 2023 in the heart of the Senegalese capital, will be on show from 17 May for three months at la Galerie du 19M in Paris/Aubervilliers. It will continue to weave, across borders, the creative dialogue between artists and artisans and to show the public of Greater Paris the savoir-faire and contemporary creativity of Senegal. A way of weaving and embroidering collaboratively, a shared way of producing and inventing the arts and crafts of tomorrow, which Le Monde was particularly sensitive to.
For the past seven years, the “Le Monde Afrique” section of the evening daily has been drawing attention to this dynamic, inventive continent, which is slowly making its mark. Le Monde's editorial team has covered the return of young people to manual labour and the development of skill-sharing and of co-creation.
Thus, two days before the opening of the exhibition Sur le fil : de Dakar à Paris, the leading French-language daily newspaper is partnering with la Galerie du 19M in a half-day of meetings and debates on savoir-faire, bringing together speakers from all walks of life. These exchanges will be driven by a shared intention: to identify what will allow this creative wealth to strengthen its influence and broaden its audience.
- Riad Fakhri, founder of the TRAMES cultural centre
- El Hadji Malick Ndiaye, art historian, curator of the musée Théodore Monod d’Art africain
- Bibi Seck, designer, co-founder of the design and creative studio Birsel + Seck and founder of Dakar Next
- Mamy Tall, architect, exhibition designer
Moderated by Mustapha Kessous, journalist at “Le Monde Afrique”Book
- Amah Ayivi, founder of Marché Noir
- Lamine Badian Kouyaté, founder of Xuly Bët
- Selly Raby Kane, stylist and fashion designer
- Cheikha Sigil, designer and artistic director of Espace Medina
Moderated by Laureline Savoye, journalist at “Le Monde Afrique”Book
- Khadija Ba Diallo, founder of the brand L'Artisane and Sandaga Shop
- Marie-Madeleine Diouf, creator of the brand Nunu Design
- Emilie Hammen, director of the CHANEL and le19M Chair in Fashion Savoir-Faire at the IFM
Moderated by Mustapha Kessous, journalist at "Le Monde Afrique"Book
*Cheikha Sigil, designer et directeur artistique d'Espace Medina, qui devait intervenir sur la table ronde A l'avant-garde des modes africaines ne peut malheureusement plus être présent.